Monday 14 March 2011

Just a mini story to brighten your day !

I wrote this story a while back for creative writing. We all had to pick a place, a character and a time of year. We then put the in a jar, mixed them up and picked different ones. I got =

1. A Medieval Fair
2. A teenage girl
3. Bonfire night

It was a cool exercise and we had to do it in 500 words. So here you are kind people in blogger land. Let me know what you think !  Give it a try its fab for writers block !

Bonfire Night
Picture it, if you will dear reader, late November 5th, in the middle of a field and everyone dressed in medieval costume. That’s right. Medieval costume. My name is Jessica Mason and I have been bullied into taking part in the Dalton bonfire night and medieval festival. Just brilliant. Tonight is a big event and a MAJORLY humiliating one for me. I can’t believe that I have been roped into doing this!
On one side of the field an archery tournament. Arrows flying through the air, very nearly hitting the surprisingly close stalls, scaring the poor old ladies serving food and tea to cold looking by standers. There is every kind of stall that you can think of. You name it we have it. The smell is amazing, floating across the breeze enticing the customers to have a look. Adjacent to the archery is a jousting pitch. I say jousting. Its not proper hard core with lances-that-could-kill-a-man jousting but long poles with cushions on the end, so no one gets too hurt. The horses and knights all dressed nobly, with a surprising amount of ale being ingested.
Now, I am sure you are wondering why I find all this humiliating. The event itself is fun, don't get me wrong. Why it is humiliating for me, is that I have to be one of the “damsel in distress” characters. I have to sit in a make shift castle, and wait for the jousting to finish in order to congratulate the winner. Fabulous.... I think not.
On the plus side, I can see it all from up here, even if I do feel like a total idiot in this dress and pointy hat. I see the fireworks getting together. I can watch them fantastically up here. As the fireworks kick off, so does the final of the jousting tournament.
I love bonfire night. The children write their names with sparklers in the air whilst the sky lights up in a mass of every colour imaginable. A giant crash from below attracts everyone’s attention as a man falls from his horse with a thud, ending the tournament. I can FINALLY get out of here! Walking down the incredibly rickety stairs, I opened the door to come face to face with the winner of the jousting.
“Well done my lord, how can I ever repay you for saving me” I recited, praying for this to be over with.
 “Well, My lady. You can do me the honour of joining me in eating a giant pork and stuffing baguette from Miss Bowes stall” He replied, taking off his helmet. A purple firework hit the air spreading across the sky. His eyes lit up in the light. Maybe tonight wouldn’t be so bad after all.
 By Abbly Bartonia (aka Abigail Barton) - 14/03/11

No comments:

Post a Comment